Gig Harbor Welcome Plaza / Lift Station #4 Project To Begin September 6th
New website will be source for continual updates
Gig Harbor, Wash. August 25th, 2016 - The City of Gig Harbor has launched a new website for progress updates as part of the Welcome Plaza / Lift Station #4 Replacement Project scheduled to begin on September 6th, 2016, at Skansie Brothers Park, located on the waterfront in downtown Gig Harbor at 3207 Harborview Drive.
The City awarded the contract to Stellar J Corporation out of Woodland Washington. Physical construction will begin on Tuesday, September 6th and should be completed by May 24th, 2017.
This project provides for the following three separate improvements to Skansie Park
- The City’s sewer Lift Station #4 is currently located in Skansie Park and receives approximately 1/3rd of the City’s sewer flows Lift Station #4 has been scheduled to be replaced since 2011. This project install a new lift station with increased emergency storage volume and improved reliability and pumping capacity to handle the anticipated growth.
- Skansie Park is a hub for activity and the current restroom facility is under sized and outdated for the number of people that utilize this park on a daily basis. Additionally, the current restrooms are flooded by sea water during extreme high tides, rendering them unusable during these events and allowing salt water to enter the City’s sewer system. This project will provide for a new building that will include two family restrooms with showers, two public restrooms, and other facilities to support the boating community that utilizes Jerisich Dock. The finished floor elevation of the new building will be raised approximately 3 feet to prevent flooding during our high tide events, and the roof of the building will be an ADA accessible public viewing deck.
- This project will also provide for a new public plaza with seating, shaded areas, and open space, which centers around Gig Harbor’s Fisherman’s Memorial.
Impacts to the Public
o Starting September 6, 2016, the north half of Skansie Brothers Park will be closed to public use throughout the entire duration of the project.
o The contractor will be providing an ADA accessible route from the park pavilion to Jerisich Dock, which will remain open during construction. There will be periodic dock closures throughout the project but public notice will be given prior to any dock closures.
o The sidewalk and parking areas in front of the park will be closed to public access throughout the project but a pedestrian detour route will be provided.
o There will be ongoing lane closures and lane shifts on Harborview Drive and traffic control will be provided during this project. You can expect long traffic delays and the use of alternate routes is strongly recommended.
o Access to all businesses and residence will be provided throughout the duration of the project.
o You can expect louder than normal construction noise including heavy vibrations, backup alarms, and large equipment motor noise.
- Skansie Brothers Park will not host any events during the construction.
- The 2016 Holiday Tree Lighting and arrival of Santa Claus will take place at Donkey Creek Park on December 3rd. For more information and for a complete listing of events and activities throughout Gig Harbor visit www.gigharborguide.com.
Project costs are estimated at $5.2 million with half of the funding coming from a utility bond and half from the existing wastewater capital budget.
Access to local businesses and residences will be maintained at all times.
Website and Stakeholder Emails
The public is encouraged to bookmark www.SkansieParkProject.com to keep updated on project progress.
If you would like to receive information and construction updates on this project and be included on our stakeholders list, please provide your contact information to Maureen Whitaker at firstname.lastname@example.org or (253) 853-7618.
If there are any questions, please feel free to contact the City of Gig Harbor at (253) 853-7618.