IT’S TIME TO REFRESH FIREWORKS RULES IN GIG HARBOR
Gig Harbor, Wash. June 20, 2012– The Gig Harbor Police Department asks for citizen’s voluntary compliance to the laws and ordinances pertaining to fireworks in the city limits for a safe and peaceful season.
Here are the laws and ordinances governing the use of fireworks in the city limits of Gig Harbor;
Fireworks: "Fireworks" means any composition or device designed to produce a visible or audible effect by combustion, deflagration, or detonation, and which meets the definition of articles pyrotechnic or consumer fireworks or display fireworks. (RCW 70.77.126)
Fireworks Rules and Regulations
• Fireworks can be sold by properly licensed and permitted fireworks vendors each year starting at noon on 6/28 and ending at noon on 7/5. (GHMC 8.20.110 HOURS OF SALES - $1000 Infraction)
• Likewise, fireworks can only be used from noon on June 28 until noon on July 5 EXCEPT during the hours indicated below. (GHMC 8.20.120 USE OF FIREWORKS - $1000 Infraction)
• FIREWORKS STAND (GHMC 8.20.090 TEMPORARY STANDS – STANDARDS AND CONDITIONS - $1000 Infraction):
- Two unobstructed exits required
- Each temporary fireworks stand shall have an adult in attendance at all times. No child or children under the age of 18 years shall be allowed inside the employee area of any temporary fireworks stand.
• No licensee may sell any fireworks to any person under the age of sixteen. (RCW 70.77.515 – Gross Misdemeanor)
• All fireworks must include the “Safe and Sane” designation (except toy caps and sparklers). Items specifically prohibited: Firecrackers, skyrockets, salutes, chasers, and bottle rockets.
(GHMC 8.20.130 DANGEROUS FIREWORKS - $1000 Infraction)
• UNLAWFUL POSSESSION OF FIREWORKS: It is unlawful to possess any class or kind of fireworks in violation of this chapter (RCW 70.77.485). A violation of this section is:
(1) A misdemeanor if involving less than one pound of fireworks
(2) A gross misdemeanor if involving one pound or more of
• Fireworks (“other raucous noises” ) may not be ignited between the hours of 11:00 p.m. – 7:00 a.m. (GHMC 9.34.020 DISTURBANCE OF THE PEACE – Misdemeanor)
• Responsibility for any property damage or fires that result from use of fireworks.
(RCW 9A.48.040 RECKLESS BURNING I (with damage) – Felony) or
(RCW 9A.48.050 RECKLESS BURNING II (property in danger) – Gr. Misdemeanor)
• UNLAWFUL DISCHARGE OR USE OF FIREWORKS: It is unlawful for any person to discharge or use fireworks in a reckless manner which creates a substantial risk of death or serious physical injury to another person or damage to the property of another. A violation of this section is a gross misdemeanor (RCW 70.77.488).
• SEIZURE OF FIREWORKS: Any fireworks which are illegally sold, offered for sale, used, discharged, possessed, or transported in violation of the provisions of this chapter or the rules or regulations of the chief of the Washington state patrol, …, are subject to seizure … by state agencies or local governments having general law enforcement authority. (RCW 70.77.435)
For additional information or questions contact the Gig Harbor Police Department at (253) 851-2236.
# # #