DONKEY CREEK PROJECT UPDATE -- July 10, 2013
DONKEY CREEK RESTORATION & TRANSPORTATION IMPROVEMENTS PROJECT
Work in Progress:
· Phase one of the estuary excavation is on-going. The contractor is finishing the first phase of excavation near the planned rock walls within the restored estuary portion of the project. Phase 2 of the excavation (final stream channel excavation and aggregate placement) will begin after the walls, bridge girders, pipe hangers, and exposed pipes are in place.
· Soldier pile wall gutter preparation work is on-going, with the concrete pour scheduled for this week.
· Concrete formwork and rebar installation continues at the bridge wing walls, with the concrete pour currently scheduled for late next week.
· Bridge girder delivery, pick and set – scheduled for Friday, July 12. The five girders will be delivered to the site one at a time. The trucks will back into the area, requiring flagging for their arrival (and departure), causing temporary disruption to traffic during delivery. The crane will pick each girder from the delivery truck, carefully swing it into position over the abutment walls and then set it into position.
· Bridge girder stops and diaphragm installation.
· Grading of the pedestrian pathway under the bridge.
· Installation of the anchored logs in the vicinity of the bridge.
· Estuary rock wall installation.
Traffic: REVISION REMAINS IN PLACE
TEMPORARY CLOSURE OF NORTH HARBORVIEW DR for BRIDGE CONSTRUCTION (between Harborview Drive and Austin Street)
· Austin Street has been re-opened for temporary two-way traffic. North Harborview Drive continues to be closed to the public until the new bridge is ready for vehicles and pedestrians - currently scheduled in early September. Two-way vehicular traffic is re-routed to Austin Street and the three-way stop control has been moved to the intersection with Austin Street.
Pedestrian Route: DETOUR REMAINS IN PLACE
· North Harborview Drive continues to be completely closed to the public and the pedestrian route has shifted around the park and along Austin Street.
· Pedestrian detour along a portion Harborview Drive continues to be in place until the rest of the new shared-use path is constructed.
Donkey Creek Park Restrooms: RESTROOMS REMAIN CLOSED
Restrooms remain closed until power is restored after the construction of the new bridge on North Harborview Drive. The nearest restrooms are located at the Finholm View Climb and Eddon Boat Park located on Harborview Drive.
ACCESS TO ALL BUSINESSES and RESIDENCES WILL BE MAINTAINED AT ALL TIMES.
Project updates will be posted on the Donkey Creek Restoration website at www.DonkeyCreekRestoration.com.
The City will circulate periodic updates by email. If you know someone that would be interested in receiving these email notices, please contact Maureen Whitaker, Asst. City Clerk at WhitakerM@cityofgigharbor.net.