DONKEY CREEK RESTORATION & TRANSPORTATION
Gig Harbor, Wash. – January 24, 2013 The City of Gig Harbor invites the public to an Information Open House Wednesday February 20, 2013 from 4-7 p.m. at the Harbor History Museum (4121 Harborview Drive, Gig Harbor) regarding the upcoming Donkey Creek Restoration & Transportation Improvement Project.
Scheduled to begin in March 2013, this project that will restore Donkey Creek between the Harbor and Donkey Creek Park, provide widened sidewalks and a new pedestrian trail, and improve traffic flow along Harborview Drive, North Harborview Drive and Austin Street.
The City of Gig Harbor awarded the construction contract to MidMountain Contractors, Inc. on November 13, 2012.
The Open House will provide the public an opportunity to ask questions of both the City and the Contractor about the construction, see diagrams explaining the many phases of the project and learn history of the area under construction. Those who live and work in the area are encouraged to come, as is anyone interested in this long-awaited project.
Funding for this project is provided by a US Fish and Wildlife Service Grant, a US Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Neighborhood Initiative Grant and local City of Gig Harbor funds.
PHASE 1 MARCH 2013 (depending on weather and other project limitations) AUSTIN STREET WILL BE CLOSED FOR THE DURATION OF THIS PHASE OF WORK.
· Austin Street - waterline installation and new road construction with parking, sidewalks and landscaping on the park-side of the street.
· North Harborview Drive between Austin Street and Burnham Drive – sewer utility work. The sewer utility work will be completed in the first phase to bypass
· Harborview Drive between Austin Estuary Park and Donkey Creek Park - frontage improvements, widened sidewalks, and road repaving. Paving work will require short term lane closures over the course of approximately two days.
PHASE 2 JUNE 2013 (depending on weather and other project limitations) NORTH HARBORVIEW DRIVE BETWEEN AUSTIN STREET AND HARBORVIEW DRIVE WILL BE CLOSED FOR THE DURATION OF THIS PHASE OF WORK.
· North Harborview Drive between Austin Street and Harborview Drive – New bridge construction, road improvements, and widened sidewalks.
· Creek and Estuary Restoration between the Harbor and Donkey Creek Park -- Estuary excavation will be completed in two stages: wall construction and excavation for final stream. Once that process is complete, Donkey Creek and the restored Estuary will flow freely under the newly constructed bridge and into the Harbor.
· Pedestrian Trail between Austin Estuary Park and Donkey Creek Park.
· Landscaping in the restoration areas.
The final construction items include work on Austin Street to reconfigure it for one-way traffic, installation of the final lift of asphalt, and permanent signing and striping. As this work is scheduled to occur after Phase 2 is complete, the chance of weather delays is increased. The project is scheduled for final completion in March, 2014.
Impacts to the General Public
During the course of construction the public can expect significant traffic control, potential rough road conditions, and traffic delays. Pedestrian detours will be in place and may impact walking routes. The equipment used on this project will be large and will cause loud noises and vibrations while in use. There will be several days of driving piles to support the foundations for the new bridge and for retaining walls. Numerous large trucks delivering material for construction or hauling excavated material away will be travelling to and from the site throughout construction.
During Phase 1, Austin Street will be completely closed with traffic and pedestrians routed along Harborview Drive and North Harborview Drive. Pedestrian detours will be in place intermittently along North Harborview Drive and the City anticipates that the public restroom at the park will remain open. For approximately one week + in mid-March 2013, while the Phase 1 sewer utility work is under construction, North Harborview Drive will be completely closed for several hours each day while the crews are working, with significant traffic control and a detour around Burnham Drive and Harborview Drive (up to the Hi-Yu-Hee-Hee).
There will also be impacts on Harborview Drive as the new widened sidewalk and other frontage improvements are constructed. Temporary lane closures are anticipated during the Harborview Drive repaving work, but not for the sidewalk and frontage work, and pedestrian detours will be in place until the sidewalk is complete and safe for travel.
During Phase 2, North Harborview Drive will be completely closed with traffic and pedestrians routed around Austin Street in its temporary two-way configuration. A pedestrian detour will take pedestrians around the park to safely avoid the area under construction. The City anticipates that the public restroom at the park will be closed during Phase 2 work for safety.
Access to local businesses and residences will be maintained at all times. Please continue to patronize the local businesses during construction but look for alternate routes if you will just be passing through.
Upcoming Public Meetings
· Wednesday, February 20, 2013, 4pm to 7pm: Informative Open House at the Harbor History Museum Resource Room - The public is invited to attend this open house to learn more about the project and ask questions, discuss the project phases, and have the opportunity to meet the City’s contractor, MidMountain Contractors, Inc. Those who live and work in the area are encouraged to come, as is anyone with an interest in this project.
If you would like to receive information and construction updates on this project and be included on our stakeholders list, please provide your contact information to Maureen Whitaker at firstname.lastname@example.org or (253) 853-7618. Also, please check the project website www.DonkeyCreekRestoration.com for routine project updates and notices.
If there are any questions please feel free to contact Emily Appleton, P.E., Project Manager at email@example.com or (253) 853-7620.