Round Up Your Rock!
With the Maritime Gig Festival fast approaching, it's time once again to "Round up Your Rock” for the annual Round Rock contest co- sponsored by the Gig Harbor Chamber of Commerce and the Harbor History Museum. The Round Rock competition was first created back in 1951 by C.E. Shaw, famous for entertaining Gig Harbor with Rooster Races in the 1930's and 1940's. The Round Rock contest was re-introduced in 1998, and now each year the winners are announced during the week of the Chamber's Maritime Gig Festival.
Cash prizes will be awarded to the five rocks or stones judged the most perfectly rounded rocks. First Prize = $100, Second Prize = $50, Third Prize = $25, Fourth Prize = $15, Fifth Prize = $10. To participate, contestants must follow these rules and regulations:
· Rocks must be submitted to the Harbor History Museum by Friday April 20, 2012.
· All rocks or stones must be no larger than 6 inches in diameter at the widest point. The smallest rock or stone that can be entered must not be less than 1½ inches in diameter at its narrowest point.
· Rocks or stones are judged by their spherical measurement, as of a perfect sphere. In case of a tie where two or more stones are the same ratio in measurements, the texture and quality together with smooth surface will be the deciding factors. Where everything is equal between two rocks, the largest rock has preference.
· All rocks and stones must have their natural surface and must not be scratched, mutilated, or shaped in any way.
· All rocks or stones to qualify must be of such hardness that they cannot be scratched with the ordinary pocket knife.
· All rocks or stones to qualify must have been found in Washington State.
· Each person entering the contest is limited to one entry.
For a complete list of all the rules and an official entry form, visit the applications page for the Maritime Gig Festival at Maritimegig.com.
For more information contact:
Maritime Gig Festival Coordinator